Tuesday, May 26, 2015

That's Amore...No, That Canadian!

I never really think about things that are solely Canadian. I mean here in North America we eat similar food...except for down the south where they eat things like 'Gator. LOL We don't have those scary things up here, (and I'm totally okay with that. lol) But, we have poutine which is a gift from the gods. :)

To be honest I never really thing about the things that are truly "ours" until someone mentions it. Usually my editor...those comment bubbles always make me laugh. Like when I was asked what a"hydro bill" is because in the US they just refer to it is as the electric bill. 

During my edits for my last book I got a bubble comment about a drink one of my characters was drinking..I'd just referred to it as a Caesar. 
Did you know The Bloody Caesar is a Canadian thing!

The Classic Caesar
PHOTO: Appetite by Random House
WAAAAAAAAAAT?
I don't think I've ever been more surprised. Way back in my bartending days I made a gazillion of them and it never dawned on me that this was a canuck creations. For those of you who are unfamiliar a Bloody Caesar is like a Bloody Mary but you swap out the Tomato Juice for Clamato Juice. 
How something like this is created up here I have no idea. I mean clams might be popular on the far east and west coasts but when I hear about clams I think about the American East coast. 

After a bit of research I found that it was created by a mane named Walter Chell in 1969 in Calgary Alberta. (dead center of the country and no where near where you'd find clams. lol) This drink was created to celebrate the opening of a new Italian restaurant. Inspired by Spaghetti alle vongole (Spagetti, Tomato Sauce and Clams) a dish from Venice, Italy. 

So there you have it. In case you are feeling inspired this summer and want to try this incredibly popular drink, here's the recipe. 

Ingredients: 
  • 1 oz (30 mL) vodka
  • 2 dashes hot sauce
  • 4 dashes Worcestershire sauce
  • 3 grinds fresh cracked salt and pepper
  • 4 oz (120 mL) Mott’s Clamato Cocktail
Preparation:
  1. Rim a highball glass with citrus and celery salt
  2. Fill the glass to the top with ice.
  3. Add the ingredients in the order listed.
  4. Stir well to mix the cocktail, and garnish with a celery stalk and a lime wedge.

Everyone has their favourite way to have a caesar, What do you do to make yours unique?

Join me and we'll raise a couple Casears to celebrate my upcoming release...

Rolling in Sin
Release date May 29th.


Audrey lives a mundane, repetitive life in data entry but won’t leave her job because of the financial security it allows her. An exciting weekend in Sin City with her friends is a perfect chance for a bit of excitement.

Max and Geoff are lovers well known in high rolling poker games. An unpredictable life they enjoy because everything can change with the flip of a card. The spur of the moment decision that brought them together is exactly how they feel about her. One night isn’t going to be enough, but can they convince her to stay?

It’s Max and Geoff’s attitude toward money that really scares Audrey. Can she put aside her need for security to stay with two men whose lives are so unpredictable?


I'm going to be at the Sexy in the City book signing in Toronto on Saturday, June 13th!
If you want to come by and say hi :)





No comments:

Post a Comment