Wednesday, April 26, 2017

Reading To My Nieces #GirlPower #Equality



I'm blessed with two incredibly, wonderful, little, girls in my life...my nieces, Emily and Natalie.

They come and spend time at our house as often as I can swing it and to be honest, I miss having little ones running around. (My two daughters are fast approaching 20.)

Much like I did with my own kids, I read to them a lot and try to have lots of books around. But, after fifteen years the book selection for toddlers at our house has been replaced by more advanced reading material.

Thus began my hunt to rebuild my home library. I started by asking my girls what their favourite books were and then picked up some of my favourites.

Things have changed so much in the last decade and to be completely honest, the girls are being raised in a very conservative home. So, it's up to their Aunti, Uncle and cousins to ensure that they are exposed to some life lessons on equality, understanding and acceptance.


I was shopping today and ordered a copy of Robert Munsch's Zoom and We Share Everything because I read those books to my girls and I still like the lessons in them. Then I went looking for books about strong women and girls who are amazing role models.

There is a new books called "Good Night Stories for Rebel Girls" which looked amazing, but after shipping and exchange rates, it was going to cost me a mint. So a quick search on the 'Zon and I found it there, but then I discovered another book that fit my needs perfectly!

Canadian Girls Who Rocked the World

Take an adventure with some of Canada`s most interesting and accomplished young women. An inspiring book, Canadian Girls Who Rocked the World tells the stories of Canadian girls who won Olympic medals, discovered dinosaurs, explored their country or shaped its history -- all while still in their teens. For example, when she was just 16 years old, Marilyn Bell stepped into the icy waters of Lake Ontario and became the first person in history to swim across it. Subsequently, she became the youngest person to swim the English Channel and changed the world`s ideas about women`s athletic abilities and endurance. And pop star Avril Lavigne released her first album when she was 17, which skyrocketed to the top of the charts, selling 12 million copies. This revised and expanded edition is packed with yet more tales of adventure and achievement. New profiles include hockey player Cassie Campbell, music exec Denise Donlon and environmental activist and leader of the federal Green Party Elizabeth May. Every day, Canadian girls find new ways to rock the world. This fun book profiles women who have achieved greatness and contains quotes from the girls who aspire to follow in their footsteps.

Not only are these stories about Canadians but they are focused on girls who accomplished amazing things before they were 20! Much easier for little girls to relate to teenagers instead of adults.

While I totally believe in Girl Power...equality is just as important. I was thrilled to discover there was a Canadian Boys Who Rocked the World ready to be added to my car as well.

30 lives that achieved greatness before age 20. No one ever said you had to be a grown-up to do something great. The boys in Canadian Boys Who Rocked the World have proved this to the world. Breaking world records, winning hearts in the limelight, changing the face of the scientific world - these boys have shaken the planet with their achievements. At 17, Louis Cyr bested the reigning Canadian strongman by lifting a 180 kg granite boulder. Wayne Gretzky was breaking NHL records by the time he was 18. Oscar Peterson won his first radio contest for piano at 14 and was awarded his own 15-minute weekly radio show. Every day, Canadian boys find new ways to rock the world. This fascinating book profiles young men who are born to greatness as well as young boys who aspire to it.


I can't wait the next time the girls come to visit and we can get reading!
If you have any suggestions for amazing books geared for elementary ages then please put them in the comments!!

No comments:

Post a Comment