Sunday, February 11, 2018

The joy of finding your Tribe @SusanHayes


Writing is a weird profession. We wordsmiths tend to spend extended periods of time sitting and staring into space, spinning words into worlds and listening to the voices of characters only we can hear. To the outsider, it can look a lot like daydreaming, laziness, or outright insanity. I’m okay with people not understanding my process. (Sometimes, I don’t get it, either.)

What I’m not okay with is when people I know dismiss what I do as a hobby. They call me an author, but there’s a set of air quotes (and on one occasion, actually written quotes) wrapped around the title, deliberately diminishing it. Sometimes its because they don’t believe that any artistic endeavor has value, but most of the time, it’s because of what I write: romance. I’ve lost track of the number of times I’ve been asked when I’m going to write a real book. Most of the time, I can brush it off and keep moving forward. I love writing. I love writing romance. That’s not going to change. 

There are days though, when even though I know better, the weight of all that dismissal and diminishment starts to crush my creativity.

That’s when I reach out to the ones I know will understand - My tribe.





For me, my tribe is made up of romance writers. We’re from different countries, time zones, and backgrounds, but we share the same passions and many of the same challenges. We talk each other “off the ledge”, cheer each other on, and keep each other strong. This week, I needed them, and they helped me climb out from underneath the crushing weight of doubt and got me back on track again.

I’m blessed to have found my tribe. If you haven’t found yours yet, keep looking. Embrace your passion. Chase your dreams, and let your light shine brightly so that others can find you.



No comments:

Post a Comment